Re: Monitor/Resolutions

Subject: Re: Monitor/Resolutions
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:14:13 +0100

On 15 August 1997, Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- CHEBUCTO -dot- NS -dot- CA> wrote:

> Does anyone have the "definitive" answer as to what the prevailing (if
> not "standard") screen resolution most computer users use is? And, if
they
> are capable of higher resolutions, why don't they use them?

I don't think there is such a thing as a "standard" resolution. I
currently design to the lowest resolution that I can *reasonably* expect to
be used. At present, this is usually 800x600 but I treat each project
individually.

Users may not use the highest resolution available for a number of reasons,
including:
- ignorance. That is, the user either doesn't know how to change
resolution or doesn't know that the higher resolution exists.
- refresh rate and/or interlacing. This is the reason why I'm using
1024x768 even though my monitor will go to 1280x1024. Unfortunately, it
will only do 1280x1024 @ 60Hz -- and that is major headache material.
- colour depth. In some circumstances, users will trade resolution for an
increased number of displayed colours.
- corporate policy. My current major client has imposed an NT policy
restriction that prevents users from changing their resolution. 95% of the
users are looking at expensive 21" displays that are restricted to 1024x768
(thankfully, this policy is now under review).

HTH

Geoff Lane
(mailto:geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net)
Hell hath no fury like a 5yr old with a pair of scissors