Re: Monitor/Resolutions

Subject: Re: Monitor/Resolutions
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 20:22:55 +0100

On 15 August 1997, Chuck Martin wrote:

> You're kidding, right? A *corporate policy* that dictate screen
resolution?
> No matter what a person's job description, no matter what their needs,
> users are forced to kowtow to some high mucky-muck who had way too much
> time on their hands? Sheesh.

Unfortunately, no! The thinking behind this is that a standard desktop
equals less support effort. If the user's machine dies, all the support
technician does is replace it with a new one. The user get on with working
and the technician repairs the machine in slow time. Also, users can log
on to any machine and get their familiar desktop. IT put the policy in
place when most users ran Win95. However, NT roving profiles allow users
to "take their desktop with them" and, with the move to NT4 Workstation,
the main reasons for the policy cease to exist.

As I said, the policy is now under review (and I, for one, sincerely hope
it changes).

All the best,

Geoff Lane
(mailto:geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net)