Re: What is SGML?

Subject: Re: What is SGML?
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:30:12 -0500

On 8 August 1997, Carlolyn Haley (<dcma -at- MAIL1 -dot- NAI -dot- NET>) wrote:

> I learned yesterday that the book typesetting I was doing on an
ArborText
> was in fact SGML, a great thing to have on my resume. Would someone
please
> tell me what SGML is and how it differs from typestting and relates to
HTML?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you planning to put SGML on your resume
simply because you've used a tool that writes SGML? If so, you may be
making a mistake. As a hiring manager, I might incorrectly conclude that
you are proficient at coding in SGML, which is quite different from using a
tool that writes SGML. It would be like saying that you're a mechanic
because you can drive a car.

Regards...Kris