Re: Mission Statements

Subject: Re: Mission Statements
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 03:41:35 -0700

Somebody mentioned Tom Peters... and Elna reminded us that a good mission
statement is the one that sells potential customers in the elevator.... or,
for that matter, on the index page of a website <blush>.

In the latest issue of _Fast Company_, Tom Peters has the cover story;
"YOU, Inc."

On the web at: <http://www.brandyou.com/>

Part 2, "What is it that makes you different?"

>Starting today, you are a brand...
>
>What is it that my product or service does that
> makes it different? Give yourself the traditional 15-words-or-less
>contest challenge. Take the
> time to write down your answer. And then take the time to read it.
>Several times.

Those darned epiphanies... Best experienced first thing in the morning,
while concentrating on the first bottle of Mountain Dew, or pot of coffee:
when you least expect it. [Hey, if you were expecting it, it'd be a
Self-Fulfilling Prophecy or something....] Extra points if you haven't
gotten dressed yet.

Why is it so hard for me to finish a Tom Peters book? He often sez at the
beginning that he hasn't done his job if the first chapter hasn't made you
at least a little bit uncomfortable -- I always though that meant getting
angry -- usually by the first or second exercise, though, I'm running
around the patio in my jammies shouting "YES!" and "WooHoo!" and other such
dignified things....<blush>

Now, if you'll excuse me, I hafta go redo my website and resume <smile>...
or should I finish the article first?

Dan BRINEGAR, CCDB Vr2Link
Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.
Phoenix, Arizona

http://www.vr2link.com
<mailto:vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com>

"Not just out to get a job done: out to change the world."
-- Wakeup call from Steve Jobs, 08 August 1997