Re: Corruption in Word 97 Master Documents

Subject: Re: Corruption in Word 97 Master Documents
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:32:30 -0400

>I had a similar problem in Word 97, only that my document became corrupt
>when I tried to print it from Page Layout view. Our office tekkie looked
>into the matter by taking it all the way to the top (I use the term
>loosely) and contacting Microsoft. Apparently, the problem lies not in
>the master-sub arrangement, but in working with the document in Page
>Layout view.

I've noticed the same thing -- Page Layout mode tends to cause all sorts of
strange corruptions and glitches, so now I only use it when I absolutely
need to edit one particular visual piece (say a graphic placement) and then
I scurry quickly back to Normal view.

For the record though, I know most folks on this list cringe at Word's
Master Doc, but I used it under Word 97 to create a 4-volume, 900+ page set
of user manuals and it worked. I created each chapter separately, edited
it, etc. and then once all the chapters were perfect, I copied them into a
new Master Doc directory and created the MD from there and spent a day
putting in the cross-references. On the other hand, I don't have to do
updates to that particular set of documentation, and I'm sure that makes a
huge difference.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti
Department of English Recognition Research, Inc.
University of Wisconsin - Madison Blacksburg, Virginia
mparetti -at- facstaff -dot- wisc -dot- edu mparetti -at- rrinc -dot- com

Sometimes I feel like a dog
standin' on a tool box
in the back of a pickup truck
doin' 90 round a corner