Ratios of Manual Page Size

Subject: Ratios of Manual Page Size
From: Dennis Hays <dhays -at- NOVALIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:30:40 -0400

If we assume the following:

A software user manual in a standard 3 ring binder has 250 pages (125
leaves front/back)
The typeface is an off-the-shelf standard 12 point for body (and the usual
for sub heads and heads)
The manual contains a set number of graphics/screen shots.

Can we make an assumption that the same manual, with identical content, and
printed two-up on 8.5 inch x 14 inch (21.6cmx35.56cm) paper will have a
page ratio of 1:1.35 (that number is a wild guess) or 337 total pages? I
would assume the new size has tighter leading and smaller font size to
compensate for the format, but I doubt if the page size would be 1 for 1.
Has anyone attempted to identify the ratios bewteen manual page
size--8.5x11, 7x8.5, 7x9, 5.5x8.5, and A size?

Dennis Hays
The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.
On Contract at Novalis Corp.
518/862-3465 Telephone