Re: use of he/she/they

Subject: Re: use of he/she/they
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:27:42 -0500

*Which* account representative? The sentence doesn't specify, unless
account representatives are assigned by individual end user. Which is
unusual enough that the fact should be explicitly stated. Who is
supposed to read the sentence, and what is that constituency supposed to
learn from it?

I guess it's theoretically possible that the generic singular could be
necessary in a technical document, but in the real world I haven't run
into any examples.

Mike Huber
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at