Re: Language differences in FRENCH

Subject: Re: Language differences in FRENCH
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 02:21:35 -0400

In a message dated 97-08-13 19:46:30 EDT, chief -at- NCMS1 -dot- CB -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM (Peter G
Margaritis) writes:

<< Does anyone know where I could find a kind of lexicon of FRENCH terms
and/or
> expressions which are different in France and in Quebec? ...

<Can't help you there. I asked Dan (the French-Canadian if he knew if
such a document existed, and he said jokingly, "Damn, I hope not!"

When I was at the Cannes Film Festival last year (pix are on my home page), a
group of independant filmmakers from Montreal gave out "Un Petit Lexique
Quebecois-Americain", but I doubt the terms in it would help you much.

My favorite's always been "c'est bien fun" (instead of "c'est bien amusant").
There's also the verb 'branler', which in Quebecois slang means to trouble
oneself, but in Parisian French has a more..uh... self-satisfactory meaning.
A well-known Quebecois singer gave a concert in Paris and, meaning to say,
"I was really thinking hard on the way over" said "je me suis branle avant
d'arriver ce soir", to the great hilarity of those nasty Parisians, who just
love to see one do this kind of thing (boy, could I tell you stories...)

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles