Re: A real gem...

Subject: Re: A real gem...
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 14:38:09 +0800

>"This message level is generated throughout the network and is referred
>to as a *panic* message." ["panic" is stressed in italics]

'Panic' is an genuine term in UNIX, as in:

"cmn_err (9f) - display an error message or panic the system"

CE_PANIC Used to display a message preceded with PANIC or DOUBLE
PANIC, and to panic the system. Drivers should specify
this level only under the most severe conditions or when
debugging a driver. A valid use of this level is when
the system cannot continue to function. . .

I actually experienced a DOUBLE PANIC once. I wasn't sure what exactly
what I was supposed to do, but boy was I terrified.

Once when booting up a PC, I got:

"Keyboard not present. Press F1 to continue."

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield Got my mojo workin'. . . now for the
Functional Software Pty Ltd Master documents. . .
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au