Re[3]: more on cp, wrist/arm problems...

Subject: Re[3]: more on cp, wrist/arm problems...
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:02:45 -0500

> Could you quote one scientific study that copper or
> magnetic bracelets help any symptom? These bracelets
> are usually listed in the medical quack warnings...
> no real doctor would recommend a copper bracelet.

This should not be taken as an endorsement of copper bracelets, etc. I
won't endorse them because I haven't tried them. But on the subject of
"real" medicine:

There was a very famous study from the late fifties about vitamin C with
some interesting results. It was a "double-blind" study on the
effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing colds.

The people were divided into four groups: A received vitamin C and was told
they were receiving vitamin C. B was the control group, given a placebo and
told it was a placebo. Group C was given a placebo but told it was vitamin
C, while D was given Vitamin C and told it was a placebo.

Now, if vitamin C had any effectiveness, the two groups which were given it
would suffer from fewer colds than the other two groups.

After the data was collected and analysed, it turned out that two groups
indeed suffered from fewer colds -- the two groups which were *told* they
were receiving vitamin C!!

The colds were real, medically verified. But the belief that they were
being given something which would prevent colds resulted in more prevention
than the actual substance itself provided!

For that reason (and for the numerous other studies supporting what is now
known as the "placebo effect") I would hesitate to knock *anything.* The
mind itself is a powerful curative tool, and sometimes all it needs is a
reason, however tenuous, to believe in the cure for the cure to work,
whatever it is.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224