Re: Screen Capture Color

Subject: Re: Screen Capture Color
From: Chuck Martin <cmartin -at- SEEKERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:17:45 -0700

At 10:34 AM 8/20/97 +0000, you wrote:
>When I capture a screen on my true color monitor, it looks great.
>When I take it to a 256-color display, all my white turns a
>sickly green. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?
>This has even happened with files which were not "captured".
>I am using PaintShopPro 4.0 on Windows NT.
When you say that it happens to files other than screen captures, I'd think
that it's probably differences in video cards--although the difference
between white and green is a bit much to attribute to that sort of

What happens when you capture in 256 color? The same thing? What does your
Windows color picker look like on that second machine? Does it display
white where white is supposed to be?

As a side note, why capture in true color? The file sizes become huge and a
large number of people will see the files dithered because they don't use
that color depth. A lowest-common-denominator capture (16 colors, 640 x 480
resolution, Windows Standard color scheme) should provide both consistency
and the fewest problems with the many different video cards and monitors.
"You don't look American"
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere"
- Doonesbury
Chuck Martin
Technical Writer, Seeker Software, Inc | Personal
cmartin -at- seekersoft -dot- com | writer -at- grin -dot- net |

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at