Re: Business Stuff

Subject: Re: Business Stuff
From: Candace Bamber <cbamber -at- CASTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:06:21 -0400

Thanks to everyone who provided information about resources for definitions
of business terms!

A number of people asked me to summarize to the list, so here it is:

*Overwhelming vote was for Baron's various dictionaries: Dictionary of
Banking Terms, of Financial Terms, of Business Terminology, etc. My first
stop will be at the local Chapters to have a look through these.

* - I had a look at this and it looks like a great resource.
It has a research jump-off point and an extensive "virtual library" Also a
chat group and a spot for announcements, etc. - here's the summary from the
home page:

"A Business Researcher's Interests is a searchable knowledge map of
Contemporary Business, Management and Information Technology issues. It
provides access to hundreds of full-text articles & papers, magazines &
journals, case studies and tools, and thousands of other resources on some
of the hottest issues of interest to Business, Technology & Information
professionals. Cutting-edge topics include Business Process Reengineering,
Knowledge Management, Organizational Learning, Complex Systems & Chaos,
Intranets, Virtual Corporations, Outsourcing, Electronic Markets &
Electronic Commerce. Also included are a research jumpstation for all areas
of business research, international business issues, intellectual property
issues, information policy issues, web strategy and marketing issues, and
key applications of information systems research.

*Business Law Today, by RA Miller and GA Jentz (various editions) - I
haven't seen a copy of this yet, so I can't comment

*The Portable MBA in Finance and Accounting, by John Leslie Livingstone,
John Wiley and Sons, 1992. - This is very readable and quite fascinating,
actually. This is a really good over-view, but (not surprisingly) a little
sparse on detail.

And two suggestions:
*To call the reference librarian at the public library (I always forget
that one - and I have no excuse since my sis is a librarian)
*To require the client to provide their own business definitions (Not
feasible in this case, but definitely the preferred method!)

Once again, thanks everybody!

Candace Bamber
Castek Software Factory
Toronto, ON, Canada