Re: Conversion from Word97 to Frame+SGML - Have you been there, done that, bought the t-shirt?

Subject: Re: Conversion from Word97 to Frame+SGML - Have you been there, done that, bought the t-shirt?
From: Dave Chisma & Gail Hodgson <chisma -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:40:49 +1000

Anneli Haimi wrote:

> Hi Techwhirlers and Framers!
>
> I am currently working with a conversion of legacy docs from Word6.0 to
> Frame+SGML5.1.1 on WinNT4.0 platform.
> Now we are expecting a Frame upgrade to 5.5, which is supposedly nothing
> serious conserning the conversion.
> The thing I am a bit hesitant about is the rumoured upgrade to Word97.
>
> Has anyone done conversions from Word97 to any version of Frame? Any nasty
> bugs you have encountered? Are you
> ready to share the experience on-list?
> I appreciate any comments, if you think it is not suitable to discuss them
> on-list, please e-mail me privately at anneli -dot- haimi -at- tellabs -dot- fi
>
> TIA,
>
> Anneli Haimi
> Tellabs Oy Documentation

Dave Chisma replied:

I've been through the process of (attempting Word 6 to Word 97 to Frame)
and it's not fun.

Frame 5.1.2 (Win 95) doesn't filter Word 97 files, nor the RTF files
that Word 97 produces. In order to maintain most of the formatting, I
ended up:

--export Word 97 as Word 2 (Word 6 might have worked, but I didn't have
it on my PC)
--open the docs in Word 2 and saved, again, as Word 2

After those steps, Frame opened the Word files.

Regards, Dave Chisma
chisma -at- c031 -dot- aone -dot- net -dot- au