Re: RSI - Handeze gloves

Subject: Re: RSI - Handeze gloves
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:38:55 -0400

Roz Ault suggested:

>These $20 finger-less gloves are made from stretch
> Lycra subjected to a special process called
> "Med-A-Likra" that expands the individual fibers in
>a thread, thus reducing the space between threads
>and working better to hold body heat. The cuffs are
>double-layer Lycra and help keep the hand in a
>neutral position while allowing flexibility, unlike
>wrist braces. The strangest part of the gloves is
>that they only have four holes for the fingers...

(I'm coming to this thread a little late, just finished a
great vacation.)

I've used something similar ever since a lengthy stint in Europe
in the late 70s. In Germany, they are called "Pulse Warmers"
and are like the stretchy tension bandages you can get for
wrists, elbows, knees, ankles, etc.

My version of the gloves extend from the middle of the hand
to about 4-6" above the wrist. I usually only use the right hand
one for mousing, but with the air conditioning in the building
where I work, it's nice to have the left one on too sometimes.
They really help, and I'm not sure why, but I don't care. I had
an incipient RSI problem a while back, which was alleviated
once I started wearing the gloves (and being more attuned to
body position, etc.).

BTW, save yourself the $20. I make my own by cutting the foot
off a pair of fuzzy socks. You could cut the fingers off a glove
and get the same effect.

--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Fax: (905) 513-1419
Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com