WORD97: is it worth upgrading?

Subject: WORD97: is it worth upgrading?
From: John -dot- Cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- IE -dot- PHILIPS -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 12:41:52 +0200

There has been a few postings to this list expressing regret for having
upgraded to Word97 from Word 6/95. Anyone think the upgrade _is_ worth the
trouble?

I am using Word 6 and have some well-developed templates and macros. They ain't
broke, so I'm not looking to fix them. However, my company has just bought Word
97, so I can change if I like.

I am particularly concerned about having to convert my macros - is this
something I'm going to have to face up to eventually anyway?

I would also appreciate any comments on the following:
The hypertext links to other MS Office objects look useful - or not?
Version recording is an idea whose time has come, but the functionality looks
very limited. Anyhow I've got used to doing manual saves, incrementing the file
name as I go.
The help says the spellchecker is better. Is it?
Apparently the revision functions are easier to use. But I don't use revision
marks.
Is Mr Animated Paperclip, using IntelliSense(tm) natural language of any
interest to advanced users?
Any functional advantages to the new macro language?
Any other issues - stability, memory hoggage, add-ons?

If I get enough I'll summarise to the list.
Thanks,
John
mailto:john -dot- cornellier -at- paris -dot- ie -dot- philips -dot- com