Re: Ellipsis button - what is it called?

Subject: Re: Ellipsis button - what is it called?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:55:05 -0700

And Suzanne Maloon wrote:
>I MUST disagree with this----------------->"Click ... and browse to the
>file location."
>Saying "Click...and browse to the file location" looks as if you forgot to
>complete your thought. Call it the ellipsis button, and then give a screen
>capture to give your readers a clue of what you're talking about.

Disagree if you must, Suzanne.

I'm teaching a friend to use his new computer. Last night, my husband
and I were over at his house while I set up his fax cover sheet, and as
I worked, I listened to husband and friend talking.

Husband: Use ellipsis.

Friend: Use *what*???

Husband: You know. Dotdotdot.

Friend: Oh! Yeah.

Don't say "ellipsis" in docs. You create a conceptual stumbling block
that will disrupt the cognitive flow for (my SWAG) about 90% of your
audience. After all, our job is to tell them how to use the software,
*not* to teach them the nuances of punctuation.

(Jeesh! At this rate, I'll be broke by the weekend!) ;-)

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at