Re: Web Authoring Software

Subject: Re: Web Authoring Software
From: John Posada <JOHN -dot- POSADA -at- EY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 16:48:27 -0400

First...let me state that I've used MS FrontPage WAY more than NetObject
Fusion, and since I like FP, I may be biased.

I'm also aware that NO Fusion has developed a pretty wide following, so it
cannot be too bad.

>>>It's not inexpensive, but it is in my opinion the best package for a complex
site that needs to be developed in a desktop publishing fashion.<<<

The price has come down recently, maybe to about $200 and change from $400 and
change. maybe that's good, maybe it's indicative of poor market acceptance.

>>>Note that the HTML Fusion generates is not the cleanest or most efficient.
It is rather cryptic to manually edit, but is still years ahead of the
specialized drivers and rather proprietary format of FrontPage.<<<

The only thing that is specialized or criptic is the functionality inserted by
the web bots that need the Front Page extensions. If you chose not to use
them, the code is, for the most part, clean. In fact, I created a few pages
without any 'bots and ran it through the HTML syntax checker found in HotDog
Pro and if I remember right, didn't produce any exception errors that I
couldn't have made through HotDog itself.

I think people are mixing up the issue of FrontPage extensions. FrontPage
extensions aren't needed to run FrontPage webs and the webs are happy as clams
on any UNIX server, or, of course, NT server. They only add functionality that
would only be possible through other programing means. If you chose not to use
them, then don't. All that you're going to miss is the capabilities that
extensions add. Instead, spend the time having the same thing done with java,
javascript, cgi, or other. Of couse, with some of these, you still have to
install scripts on the server, or at least get permission from the server-side
to enable them to work

On the other hand, if not having html editing and cryptic code is a good thing,
then gofiggur.

This is not a this vs that, such as you'd see with Windows-MAC, or at least I
don't mean it that way. I just believe that some people are misunderstanding
the implications of server extensions. Unless you KNOW FrontPage, you may
believe they are something that they are not.

>>>This means that the Fusion HTML will run as-is from any major Unix server
(ie Apache) without hassle. Try getting your sysadmin to recompile Apache just
so FrontPage generated pages can be served from it, I dare you!<<<

Recompile to run html created for Front Page...why, it's only html.

>>>Additional note, FrontPage is made by Microsoft. (Place hard learned lessons
from Office97 here.)<<<

Actualy, FrontPage wasn't "made" by MS. They bought the rights to it from
another company...and btw...I run Office 97 quite well, thanks.

John Posada
john -dot- posada -at- ey -dot- com