Re: Web Authoring Software

Subject: Re: Web Authoring Software
From: Matthew Stern <MAStern -at- PLATSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 07:55:23 -0700

I am also a Microsoft FrontPage 97 user and fan, but I noticed one thing
to watch out for as you use it.

Some of the HTML tags FrontPage uses for formatting work only with
Internet Explorer (surprise :) ). For example, I used the File/Page
Properties/Margins feature to set an indent for my text. The indent
worked perfectly in Internet Explorer, but not in Netscape Navigator or
AOL's generic HTML 3.2 browser. To ensure that my indent would work in a
wider range of browsers, I went to the old method of making a two-column
table and putting the text in the right column.

So, the lesson here is to test your HTML files on all browsers you plan
to support. FWIW, YMMV.

Matthew Stern
Sr. Technical Writer
Platinum Software Corporation

E-mail mailto:mastern -at- platsoft -dot- com
Web http://members.aol.com/mastrn/

"The number of practices, disgusting or exciting,
usual or unusual, in which you wish to engage in
private is of no concern to society."
-- Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

The opinions here are solely my own.