Re: Verbs for translation

Subject: Re: Verbs for translation
From: John Humpert <john -dot- humpert -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 02:05:06 -0700

Dave Chisma & Gail Hodgson wrote:

> I would appreciate suggestions about the best way to phrase headings in
> documents destined to be translated into a number of languages.
>
> For example, would you use: 'Printing a Report' or 'To Print a Report',
> and why would you choose one over the other?

In your example, "To Print . . . " is more easily translated than
"Printing . . . " because "to print" is the infinitive form (or base
form, or root form) of the verb "print." The infinitive form is a very
basic building block of every language (of the handful) I have
encountered.

"Printing" can, grammatically speaking, be either a gerund (as in your
example phrase), or a present participle (as in "He is printing a report
right now"). While it may seem fine to monolingual English-speakers, to
readers of German, an unintended connotation arises that some other
action may also be happening at the same time (To the tune of: While
printing a report, [[[don't get toner on your nose]]].) The gerund form
occurs more readily in English than in other languages of which I'm
familiar. English-to-other-target-language translators learn how to deal
with structures like these very early in their coursework, I'd say. So
far, no real "curve balls" thrown.

A translator putting your example into German would achieve precision of
meaning and economy in word count using "To Print . . . ." ("Einen
Bericht drücken").

Other suggestions: Avoid culture-bound expressions like "curve balls"
;)
When either of two expressions like "break off" and "interrupt" fit
equally well in a particular context, use the more precise expression
("interrupt").

John Humpert