Hyperlinks and Word-to-PDF vs. PM-to-PDF

Subject: Hyperlinks and Word-to-PDF vs. PM-to-PDF
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:06:53 -0400

All:

I am trying to determine the appropriate application to use based on a
specific functionality. I AM NOT ASKING FOR OPINIONS ON WORD VS.
PAGEMAKER!!! LET'S NOT START THAT AGAIN.

A "Quality Standards Team" in my company has decided that we need
comprehensive system documentation for all our projects (custom
databases). Wow, how long have I been saying that and not getting any
cooperation?! :-)

They decided that they want both hard copy and online (PDF).

I have limited experience with creating PDF files. Distiller came with
PageMaker and I have printed work order forms to PDF via Distiller. I
think, though, that this new documentation would benefit from
hyperlinks.

I just tested Word97 and PM6.5 and how hyperlinks (within the document)
are preserved when converted to PDF. I do not own Acrobat but have a
copy of Distiller that came with PM. So for Word, I printed to PS and
used Distiller. The Word hyperlinks were all lost (both "hyperlinks" and
"cross-references" created as hyperlinks). Setting up the anchors and
destinations in PM was cumbersome, but they were retained when converted
to PDF (also via Distiller). Word97 would be the preferred source app
because I will have to include lots of tables and possibly other objects
from Excel.

So here's my question. I see on Adobe's site that Acrobat has a Word97
macro that adds a "Print to PDF" option directly on the File menu. Does
anyone know if cross-refs/hyperlinks in Word97 are preserved when
printed to PDF if I had the full-blown Acrobat app (with this macro), or
would I still need to use Acrobat to set up the links? I couldn't find
this specific info on Adobe's site. I'm hoping that the links would be
retained, but if not, then I have some rethinking to do.

I've been wanting to get Acrobat anyway, but this just might be the fuel
needed. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Kim

--
Kim Keegan | Information Developer
ISI Data Services / Intrepid Technology