Re: Liberal Arts Grads Can't "Grasp?" Give me a f&*#ing break.

Subject: Re: Liberal Arts Grads Can't "Grasp?" Give me a f&*#ing break.
From: Amy Emge <emgeac -at- MUOHIO -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:06:04 +0000

Michelle Law wrote:
>I think you gave it away it here, why some managers go for the
>techy technical writer before the "artsy" technical writer. I think
>they're counting on you/me taking 5 hours to grasp something
>technical that a techy could grasp in 1 or 2.

You may be right, but surely a decent manager would realize that
grasping the information is only part of the task. The "techy" might
grasp it quicker, but that is not an indication that he/she could
necessarily communicate it better or quicker. Not saying that a techy
couldn't, just saying that in the area of tech comm, a manager would be
in error to automatically go for a "techy" simply because he/she might
grasp technical data a little faster than another.

Amy Emge
Miami University