Re: Software Documentation

Subject: Re: Software Documentation
From: "Amy E. Brown" <abrown -at- OPENMARKET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:18:59 -0400

Subject:
        Software Documentation
   Date:
        Thu, 4 Sep 1997 17:43:10 -0900
   From:
        Lori MacKenzie

I have hesitated to ask this, but I really need some guidance.

I am working on my first software documentation project. I am at the
beginning of writing the Software Requirements Specification (the
software, of course, was written eons ago), but have scant
information to go by. I would assume that there are some standards
out there. Are there? This is a Bureau of Land Management project,
if that helps.

If this information is archived, please forgive the posting and
direct me to the archives.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Lori MacKenzie
Technical Writer/Editor

Lori,

I remember asking this very question a little more than a year ago, when I was confronted with my very first spec on my very first writing job.

Guess what?  I winged it!

A more helpful answer:  go to the STC home page at http://www.stc-va.org and find their publications menu.  On the publications page you will find a search engine.  Do a search on "specification" and some interesting-looking stuff will come up.

If you have problems downloading the STC publications order form (as I did) simply send them an e-mail asking for the form.  They'll mail it to you pretty quickly.

Amy Brown
abrown -at- openmarket -dot- com