Re: portfolios

Subject: Re: portfolios
From: "Wittel, Teresa J." <WITTTJ -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 17:53:00 -0700

Portfolios -

Hmmm....seems to me that there are no "rules" as such. Whatever you do
should be clear, succinct and brief. I try to keep examples of
everything I do, but not everything gets shown to the prospective
client. I try to submit examples that pertain directly to the type of
job I am applying for (Gov't., com., mainframe/PC/online, etc.) and the
required tools (MS Word, RoboHelp, Interleaf, Framemaker, etc.). I have
a complete manual that I show (but do not leave) and then I include
fragments (complete procedures when possible) of other stuff with the
resume that can be left behind (to prompt memories).

Your idea of including a short paragraph with each sample is a great
one. It will help you remember what to say in the interview, especially
if you tend to get nervous. It will also explain the hidden factors
behind each sample (what you said, audience, time contraints, etc.) and
the hideous format you were forced to follow at such and such company
<g>.

I think 10 pages is about right - if you show your best work and it
pertains to the job at hand. Otherwise, it is 10 pages too long.