Re: Pet peeve words

Subject: Re: Pet peeve words
From: "Roberta J. Kirby-Werner" <rjkirby -at- MAILBOX -dot- SYR -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 18:16:59 -0400

I saw a Connie Chung's story on this phenomenon a couple years ago. She
referred to it as "uptalk," the practice of intoning statements like
questions.

P.S. I _did_ check to see if "intone" could be used as a verb before
sending this message. Wouldn't want to peeve anyone. ;-)

Bobbi

Roberta (Bobbi) J. Kirby-Werner rjkirby -at- mailbox -dot- syr -dot- edu
Senior Professional Writing Instructor
Syracuse University Writing Program
239 H.B. Crouse
Syracuse, NY 13244-1160

<Editor, _Forum_, National Newsletter for Non-Tenure Track Faculty in
English and Composition>
<Freelance Technical Writer/Editor & Corporate Trainer>