Documentation Group Structure

Subject: Documentation Group Structure
From: Robert Macchia <RobMacchia -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:40:45 -0400

I work for a large engineering company which has gone through several
reorganizations and layoffs. Our Technical Publications group has dwindled
to 3 writers (1 who will soon be retiring). I have been asked to find out
how documentation groups are organized in other companies (particularly
engineering/manufacturing). Should we continue to be a separate group, merge
with another group, or become consultants to the process? Also how much work
do other companies contract out?

I would like any feedback good or bad on your experiences with how your
groups are organized. Thank you.

Robert Macchia
Senior Technical Writer