Robin Williams on typography

Subject: Robin Williams on typography
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:48:36 -0500

I always have problems when I see someone recommend or
quote Robin Williams on typography. Why? Because Robin is a
graphic designer who shows no overt knowledge of usability
(i.e., legibility). Her advice is interesting from an
aesthetic viewpoint, but she doesn't always follow her own
good guidelines in her own books, which leads me to suspect
her advice. More to the point, she parrots back rules such
as "ragged right is better" without qualifying her
statements, and without providing any evidence that the
rules are generally valid. I take her recommendations with
a very large grain of salt.