Re: Re[2]: Speaking of Improper Terminology

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Speaking of Improper Terminology
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:20:37 -0800

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:43:58 -0800, Scott Miller wrote:

>Dictionary definitions are not the point. "Master/slave" has obvious negative
>connotations, and I wouldn't use it no matter how correct it is. Same for
>"abort."

As I noted previously, those "negative connotations", at least for
"abort", are a relatively recent invention... and based on dictionary
meanings, an improper use of the word.

If I were to start using "scott" in reference to something negative, and
over time that caught on so that the most common usage of the word was in
reference to that that negative thing, would you then change your name
because of its "negative connotations"?

I rest my case.

Your friend and mine,
Matt