Re: Contracting

Subject: Re: Contracting
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 17:39:21 -0700

Tony G. Rocco wrote:

> Actually, I'd like to hear some responses on line.

> Larry Weber wrote:
>
> >How do contractors enjoy their work? How does it compare with corporate
> >work?

You get more respect - if you're a contractor, you're assumed (usually)
to know what you're doing or you wouldn't be contracting. Except for
the insecure few, who assume that they know more than any contractor
about THEIR system. Further, when I look at the extra hours 'captive'
writers put in to show that they're part of the team, and I look at the
fact that I'd get to bill for every hour I put in on the project, I can
laugh all the way to the bank. That takes some of the sting out of
having to work evenings and weekends.

> >If you work at home, do you go bonkers with "cabin fever?"

Heck no! There are always long lunches with friends, chat rooms, a
drive in the country, or a quick trip to the mall if I want a change of
scenery. When I want a coffee break, I don't have to stand at the
window and look outside - I can go outside and tend my vegetable garden
or rose bushes.

> >How do contractors manage health insurance?

Group plans offered by various affinity groups are available, or I can
buy an individual policy from most carriers these days at reasonable
rates.

> >After all is said and done, how's the money?

<Biiiiiiiiiiiiiig smile.> In my most recent experience working as an
individual contractor, I made more than double what I could have gotten
as a salary.

However, I now own my own company, which has its own set of headaches
and rewards.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems