Re: Independent contractor status (was Downside of contracting)

Subject: Re: Independent contractor status (was Downside of contracting)
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:28:50 -0700

Stephen Forrest wrote:

> I think it's important for people working
> as independent contractors to be well-informed about the legal status and
> definition of an independent contractor. One of the key distinctions is that
> if the employer tells you where and when to work, you are an employee in the
> eyes of the IRS, and the employer has to pay the employer's share of taxes.

It used to be that there was a standard list of 20 questions that could
be used to determine whether you were in fact an independent contractor
or a de facto employee. One of them was the degree of control the
employer had over your worksite, but there could be legitimate reasons
why the contractor needed to work on-site - such as continued contact
with engineers, use of company equipment, etc.

However, with the new tax bill passed this summer, there are apparently
some new rules in effect, and I know only that some of the '20
questions' have been redefined. I've been looking for some news
explaining the new rules and haven't seen anything. Has anyone else?

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems