Re: "xxx." or "xxx".

Subject: Re: "xxx." or "xxx".
From: "Richard Pineger." <Richard_Pineger -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:26:18 +0100

>The various guides that we checked all indicated
> that
> 1a and 2a (below) are correct, but some of the writers swear that they
> were
> taught to follow 1b and 2b. What do you think?
>
> 1a. "Tell me what you think," said Barb.
> 1b. "Tell me what you think", said Barb.
>
> 2a. Each fix is moved to the restricted area by a "gatekeeper."
> 2b. Each fix is moved to the restricted area by a "gatekeeper".

I was taught 1a and 2a however, I always use 1b and 2b.

The reason for this is that logic tells me that 1a and 2a add something to
the
quote which was not there initially. It will never again be clear to a
reader
whether you are following a style guide or have added it. This can be
important,
especially if the text is for entry into a computer or similar use.

My attitude is that the message is more important than the media.
I write for installation engineers not poet laureattes.

Can anyone think of a single situation where putting the punctation outside

the quotes would lead to confusion?

Who has jusidiction over the style guides? I vote that we get them changed.

Richard Pineger