Any one use MS Word 97 to do two column manuals?

Subject: Any one use MS Word 97 to do two column manuals?
From: "Richard J. Collins" <writejob -at- DNAI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:37:26 -0700

Hello to all,
We are preparing maintenance manuals based on Mil Spec 38784 which specifies two column layout. The contract requires deliverable media prepared with Microsoft Word (latest version). This turns out to be version 8, otherwise known as Word 97.

Given this siutation to work with we are trying to devise the most efficient and problem free techniques to layout pages. The options seem to be to put tables and figures that will not fit into a single column into frames and control the text wrap using the appropriate dialog boxes or else make section breaks and switch to single column where needed to make a table or figure fit.

Another issue is whether it is faster and simpler to do all the preliminary drafts in one column and then reformat during the final draft. That is the direction I am going now. Get the content right, then worry about page layout. This may just be a personal work style, but it makes sense to me.

My question is how are people approaching two column work in Word 97? Are there any good reference sources that give actual real world examples and experience. I would prefer to avoid all the known problems I can.

Also, can anyone suggest word processors in the Bay Area that are expert enough to handle this kindo of work.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Rich