Re: AS/400 screen capture

Subject: Re: AS/400 screen capture
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 08:13:46 -0500

In our previous episode, Bakker said:
> Can anyone suggest a good screen capture utility to run on the
> AS/400, such that we can reproduce AS/400 screens in paper manuals
> in Word or FrameMaker?

Oddly enough, I've been working with the exact same problem. We came
up with two different approaches. The first is to do a true screen
capture. We used PaintShop Pro to do this, then I imported the screen
into PSP and reduced the color depth to 16 colors, making the file
much smaller. I also experimented with forcing the screen shot to
black and white, thus increasing readability.

The second approach was to copy the screen text into the clipboard (we
could do this via Client Access or Rumba -- I expect any Windows
front-end can do this), pasting it into Word, and using styles to
change the font and put a border around the text. Despite the fact
that underlines (with no text) have to be redone and bold face is
lost, this is the approach that we have chosen to use. When I changed
all of the graphics in a 30-page document from screen shots to actual
text, the file size went from 1.75 meg to 250K. And I think the
readability improved considerably.