Re[2]: AS/400 screen capture

Subject: Re[2]: AS/400 screen capture
From: Scott Esbrook <Scott_Esbrook -at- COMPUWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 07:19:47 EST

Beth Friedman said:
> Oddly enough, I've been working with the exact same problem. We came
> up with two different approaches. The first is to do a true screen
> capture. We used PaintShop Pro to do this, then I imported the
> screen
> into PSP and reduced the color depth to 16 colors, making the file
> much smaller. I also experimented with forcing the screen shot to
> black and white, thus increasing readability.

I also used PSP, though I always reduced the color depth to 2 colors
(black and white) and saved the shot as a WMF. I used the PSP "Magic
Wand" tool to select the graphic and crop out the emulator window.
Worked great. I could capture a metafile image and save it to disk in
about 5 seconds (using the trusty old Windows Recorder).

> The second approach was to copy the screen text into the clipboard (we
> could do this via Client Access or Rumba -- I expect any Windows
> front-end can do this), pasting it into Word, and using styles to
> change the font and put a border around the text. Despite the fact
> that underlines (with no text) have to be redone and bold face is lost,
> this is the approach that we have chosen to use. When I changed all of
> the graphics in a 30-page document from screen shots to actual text,
> the file size went from 1.75 meg to 250K. And I think the readability
> improved considerably.

This approach has several drawbacks. First, drawing in those underlines
can take a long time. Second, with all those horrid abbreviations
typically used on AS/400 screens, it takes 2 to 3 times longer to run a
full document spell-check. However, Beth is correct about the file size
and readability.

Scott Esbrook
Compuware Corporation