Re: Contracting

Subject: Re: Contracting
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 22:39:36 GMT

>Finding work
I don't mind this part. I find that the best way to find work is to
network (STC is the best place for this). I enjoy people, though, so
it's not a big stress for me to mingle.

>working alone
This one was hard for me, for the same reason that schmoozing is easy
for me. I got an outside office to keep me sane.

>keeping one's skills current
STC and the mailing lists are my saviors on this one. I find I can
learn most software on my own, but hints on how to do things, how to
organize projects, and what software to use are invaluable.

>paying one's own taxes
Hire an accountant and bookkeeper who tell you what to do and when to
do it. I try to know just enough to keep from getting screwed by
either of them, but no more.

I keep a separate account and put 25% of every check into it for
taxes. This does two things: Makes sure I have enough money at tax
time, and gives me a buffer of money I can borrow from if times get
tough.

>buying one's own equipment
I am lucky to have a husband who likes to take care of my computers.
If I didn't, I'd probably hire someone who did, though good ones are
somewhat hard to find. If I really had to, I'd figure it out myself.

I actually like buying my own equipment, because I can get what makes
sense for me and the way I work without begging. In one of my
full-time positions, I was stuck with ancient office equipment in
cubicles (remember the desks that had springboards for the typewriter?
That was my desk, along with the old chairs that could easily tip over
because the springs were shot.) Now I have a drop-down keyboard and
mouse pad, an ergonomic chair, and a real office.

For me, the hardest part of being a contractor is that most of your
relationships are transitory. It seems like once you get to know and
like someone, it's time to finish the project and move on. (Of course,
the flip side is that if you get to know and hate someone, you get to
move on, too.) I've been fortunate to have a few steady clients whom
I've become long-term friends with.

Another difficulty is that it is harder to get in on the early stages
of a project, which I like to do. Contractors often get pulled in late
in the project, at the "Manual? We need a manual to release the
product?" stage.

One other con is bill collection. There's nothing pleasant about being
paid late, including the phone calls to accounts payable.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Barb

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing