Re: Contracting, continued

Subject: Re: Contracting, continued
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 22:52:13 GMT

>Specifically, what skills are most important in the marketplace?
An ability to write, of course, as well as ability to learn new
products quickly. More important is an adaptable personality. You have
to be able to dig information out of a far wider range of people than
you do at a full-time gig. You're also a lot easier to get rid of as a
contractor, so being unpleasant to work with can have much faster
(bad) results.

Familiarity with one of the big three DTP packages is good, as are
basic computer skills. The specific programs and area specialties
depend on your interests and the area in which you live. (For example,
I specialize in writing about industrial control equipment, which
suits my interests and this region (Cleveland).) Computer skills
aren't absolutely necessary, though. I know a guy who's been making a
living at contract technical writing using a pencil and a legal pad
(someone else does all the typing and formatting for him).

>Should the economy turn bad (as most cyclical things do), how do you
>think you'll fare?
Well. A bad economy is sometimes a boon to the contractor. During bad
times, companies are less likely to hire full-time folks, because they
don't want to lay them off.

>For those who started as an employee, how much experience did you have
>before you made the leap?
Eight years at two companies. One was a mid-sized firm (about 600
employees) and the other was a small firm (less than 50 employees).

Barb
Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing