WORK:Buy or Lease equipment?

Subject: WORK:Buy or Lease equipment?
From: Julia Land <jltw -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:11:38 -0500

Good morning multiple mailing list members.

I am a freelence writer who has come to the painful conclusion that I
need new computer equipment. I am considering leasing the equipment
instead of buying it. My reason is that I can't afford an outright
purchase at this time, and leasing seems to offer a more reasonable
interest rate than a loan or credit card purchase. Leases are available
for 12, 24, and 36 months. At the end of the lease I can buy the
equipment for 10%.

Does anyone have any experience with equipment leases? Are there any
gotchas I should be on the lookout for? (Yes, yes, that's a preposition
at the end of that question.) How do I review the terms to see if they
really are reasonable? For example, is a 10% buy out a good deal or not?
How do I compare the interest rate of a lease to a the interest rate of
a loan?

If it's relevant, I am in the United States.

Since this question is posted to several lists, I will post a summary of
all the responses to each of the lists. To those of you who are on more
than one of these lists, I'm sorry for the duplication.

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Julia Land
jalnd -at- earthlink -dot- net