Re: Fun Pairs -- mute point vs. moot point

Subject: Re: Fun Pairs -- mute point vs. moot point
From: "Sherman,Diane R" <Diane -dot- R -dot- Sherman -at- KP -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 13:33:23 -0700

if i tell you that i've heard the term 'phat' used to mean 'excellent,'
it doesn't mean that i coined the term 'phat.'

i think my friend learned the term 'mute point' when she was a student
at oxford. it seems to be a very logical construct, considering what
the random house 'word of the day' site said about 'moot point' having
two meanings that are complete opposites.

--diane