Re: HELP! Software Jockeys vs. Real Tech Writers

Subject: Re: HELP! Software Jockeys vs. Real Tech Writers
From: Matthew Danda <matt -at- SONYCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:03:30 +0200

Guess what! It's presentation time!

Yes, we writers can be an introverted lot, but sometimes its darn
important to be able to give a full-fledged powerpoint presentation to
the development and marketing teams.

By presenting yourself to everyone (and I mean everyone, not just
managers) in a formal, business fashion, you get to explain your role
and value to the company, etc.

And, you also get to gauge just how serious the company is about you,
i.e., if they are interested in attending, if they listen, and if they
really care about what you do.

If people don't seem interested in a 45-minute presentation about
technical documentation projects, especially when the department is
totally new to the organization, and if they "don't have time" to learn
more about how user documentation integrates into a software development
environment and what you can do to improve the overall quality of the
product, well, that is very bad (pardon my eloquence). Very, very bad.

Have a quality day,

--
Matt Danda
Technical Writer