Re: HELP! Software Jockeys vs. Real Tech Writers

Subject: Re: HELP! Software Jockeys vs. Real Tech Writers
From: Christine Jesensky <Xine -at- MICROSCRIPT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:25:55 -0400

In this age, when flashy WWW pages have highest priority, I don't think
it's unbelievable that managers are ignoring skills and
content-production. I have limited corporate experience and very poor
social skills, but I would think the tactful way to go about bettering
the hiring procedures would be to come up with a list of questions to
ask the applicants, that would expose poor writing experience or no
writing experience. Like, describe your past technical communications
projects. Who was your audience? What were their skills and weaknesses
and how did you go about researching and addressing those issues? How
did you organize documentation reviews? How did you measure document
success?

If you need to educate your co-workers, I think that you should keep
around good reference books and books you used for tech writing classes.
Recommend them in small talk to your co-workers. Loan them out for the
weekend.

-xine