Re: dumb question for today: button or key?

Subject: Re: dumb question for today: button or key?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 08:43:59 -0600

Mary writes:

> What do you choose to call the thingies that you press on
> equipment (this isn't software or computers) to make things happen? My
> SME
> likes "key" but can live with "button," which I prefer (more familiar,
> common usage). Anybody have
> (a) a better idea?
> (b) a reference?
> The thingies are like thingies you press on anything--a VCR, a
> microwave, a stereo, as in "Press the SPEED SET [thingie]."

If it's on a keypad or keyboard, I might call it a key. Most likely, I
would write "Press Speed Set" or "Press Delete"--or whatever the label
happened to be. The shape of the object might also dictate whether I'd
call it a key or button. If it looks like something from a keypad, I'd
call it a key. If it's round, oblong, square and flat, or some other
shape, I'd call it a button.

No references, only personal preferences.

Bill Burns | Senior Technical Writer
billdb -at- ile -dot- com| ILE Communications Group
"If the world decided to follow you today, where would you
lead them?" Victor Wooten *What Did He Say?*