Re: dumb question for today: button or key?

Subject: Re: dumb question for today: button or key?
From: "Cramer, Kim" <kcramer -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:53:00 -0700

Mary Durlak asked:
> What do you choose to call the thingies that you press on
> equipment (this isn't software or computers) to make things happen? My SME
> likes "key" but can live with "button," which I prefer (more familiar,
> common usage).

If you press the "thingie" once to turn something on and again to turn
it off, I'd call it a "button." If you move the "thingie" into
different positions to perform different functions, I'd call it a
"switch." Or you could call them all "controls." I wouldn't use "key"
unless the "thingie" was on a keyboard or keypad.