localization findings

Subject: localization findings
From: Christine Champeaux <champc -at- AIFP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:09:25 -0700

Thanks to everyone who provided me with information about translation
companies. The most popular company mentioned was ILE, with SDL Ltd.
being the next most recommended.
Searching the web for localization/translation companies was also
suggested. However, I think I'll be busy enough checking out all these
companies that have been strongly recommended by people who have worked
with the companies.

For those of you who haven't reached this point yet and still have the task
of finding a localization company, I have also included a list of
considerations provided by Chris Burke.

Peters Translation, Inc.
Portland, Oregon
Tel: 503.297.2165
Fax: 503.297.0655

SDL Ltd.
Kathleen Bostick
VP American Sales
1740 Dallas Parkway, Suite 220
Dallas, TX 75287
Phone: (972)818-1170.
Email: kbostick -at- att -dot- net -dot-

SDL Ltd.
Elizabeth Bussian
Longmont, CO
http://www.sdl.co.uk.

ELP Translation & Localization
Rich Radford
Account Executive
5100 SW Macadam, Suite 450
Portland, OR 97201
503.224.2256 (direct)
503.224.3663 (fax)
http://www.elptrans.com
e-mail: richr -at- elptrans -dot- com

Terra Pacific Writing Co.
http://www.terrapacific.com
email: writing -at- terrapacific -dot- com
phone: 541-766-1111.

International Language Engineering
Karen Combe
e-mail: karenc -at- ile -dot- com
phone: (303) 447-2363.
http://www.ile.com

Prisma International
730 Peavey Building
730 Second Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55402
phone: 612.338.500
fax: 337.0607
e-mail: translate -at- prisma -dot- com
http://www.prisma.com

From Chris Burke:
Here are some things you might want to consider when looking for
translation firms:

-- Deadlines. It will take any company a while to get up to speed on your
documents. Plan for extra time, especially at first. Has the company done
similar work? Is
it familiar with the concepts you need translated?
-- Tracking/Database Stuff. Who will track your translations? Will the firm
provide you a database of often translated concepts, paragraphs, or
documents?
-- Billing. Some companies have minimums. Will it cost you US$200 to get
"See chart below" translated?
-- Localization. Are your documents being translated into Spanish-Spanish
or South American/Mexican-Spanish? Be sure to find a company that can
translate into the market dialect.
-- Consistency. Get assurances you will have consistency in your
translations. (The same words and concepts are translated the same way
over time.) On the whole,
I've found smaller companies or individuals give more consistent
translations than
larger companies.
-- Compatibility/File Exchange. How will you get your translations back and
forth? Can they read your files, and you theirs? Who will QC the translated
text?