Re: Technical Communication Terms

Subject: Re: Technical Communication Terms
From: "Michael A. Lewis" <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:27:59 +1000

Wendy Phillips wrote:

> What do you mean when you use the word "copyedit"? The dictionary defines
> a "copy editor" as an editor who prepares copy for the printer--with the
> transitive verb form as "copyedit". I guess I view it as scrubbing a
> document clean before presenting it for publication.
> And, what about the following terms:
> Substantive Edit
> Proofread
> Review

The "definitive" answer to this is not too hard to find -- though I
suspect my info is now a little out of date (ie, there's probably a more
recent edition). Mary Fran Buehler wrote "The Levels of Edit", published
by Jet Propulsion Labs, 1980 -- publication no 80-1. See also Buehler's
article in Technical Communication Vol 28 No 4 (4Q81).
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited
PO Box 1249
Strawberry Hills, NSW 2012

TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at

Previous by Author: Re: HELP: Appendix Question
Next by Author: Non-compete clause query
Previous by Thread: Re: Technical Communication Terms
Next by Thread: Trademark symbols...???

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads