Trademark symbols...???

Subject: Trademark symbols...???
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 14:38:17 -0500

Does anyone have a good URL for trademark usage? We're having a
mini-debate about where to use the trademark symbols ( (R) and TM ) and
the copyright symbol ( (c) ).

I always believed (and was probably taught..back in the Stone Age), that
I should use the appropriate symbol in the text ONLY the first time the
word required it. Further, that the symbols were not used in titles,
headings, or on the copyright page (usually the back side of the inside
title page).

However, the venerable Microsoft Manual of Style states that it should
be used in titles. Otherwise, they agree with me. I looked on their
manuals and they DO use symbols right on the front covers. I looked at
other books (non-Microsoft user manuals) and they, for the most part, do
not use the symbols in the titles. I believe the reason for avoiding the
use in titles is because the titles usually are such large font sizes
that the symbols are too dominant without tweaking.

Does anyone have any views, references on this? I know it's Friday
afternoon...does anyone care??

Thanks,

Jane Bergen