Re: non-compete clauses

Subject: Re: non-compete clauses
From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- WF -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:15:16 -0500

We are a 2700-member strong "union."

There are certainly other groups of Technical Communicators (or
Technical Rhetoricists if you prefer) who would join us in this fight
against tyranny.

If we all informed our agencies that we would no longer sign non-compete
clauses, within six months they would disappear from our contracts.

Texas is a right-to-work state and the clause may not be enforceable
here, but I sympathise with you who are bound to a single agency. My
contract has the same clause, but I have been advised to ignore it and I
do so. It's there to scare others into submission.

The same law firm which would take on this class action might also be
interested in fixing our gripe against a software publisher who has an
application so buggy that the subject of its problems takes up about 1
in 10 of the messages on this list.
--

Buck Buchanan
writer -at- wf -dot- net