Re: Top 10 for MS Word

Subject: Re: Top 10 for MS Word
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:50:12 -0500

Nice try, Becky, but not everyone has the luxury of choosing a software
package. At my company, the people who sign the authorizations want
everyone to be able to swap docs.... and that means Word, since we have
a site license for MS Office.

On Wednesday, October 08, 1997 12:42 PM, Rebecca Carr
[SMTP:rebecca -at- WHITE -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM] wrote:
> It occurs to me while reading the top 10 for MS Word that all of the
> quirks and problems associated with Word can be eliminated by
> to FrameMaker.
> Also, it's ridiculous to tell a tech writer to avoid excessive use of
> bullets! Bullets are one of the most necessary and useful ways to
> write meaningful information that is user-friendly. If this is a real
> problem, then the writer obviously needs a better program.

I must have missed certainly was not on my list of 10s. I use
bullets A LOT! And Word has no problems with it. I think, though, that
you may have missed something. In the first line you said a key word:
"excessive" --- anything can be overdone, including bullets. In the case
of EXCESSIVE bullets, you will lose your readers. They'll begin to feel
that you're throwing things at them.

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com