Re: questions about professional tech writing

Subject: Re: questions about professional tech writing
From: Marilyn O'Leary <moleary -at- LSUVM -dot- SNCC -dot- LSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:11:46 -0600

Jonathan Soukup wrote, in part:
>I am a senior Agricultural Journalism major at Texas A&M University and
>will finish my degree this December. In the last year my interests have
>shifted from agriculture to computer/internet-related subjects. ... I have
>worked semi-professionally as a
>journalist and have a portfolio that most undergrad students would die
>for. I've also worked as a student webmaster
.... Does it sound like I have a decent shot at finding a job as
>a technical writer? What basic skills will an employer be looking for? Am
>I totally out of my league?

Johnathan: I would like to suggest that you talk to the Sea Grant people at
TAMU and also your Extension Service. You might find extension work has a
lot of technical writing in it.

Marilyn

Marilyn Barrett O'Leary
Louisiana Sea Grant College Program
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA
moleary -at- lsuvm -dot- sncc -dot- lsu -dot- edu