Re[2]: ADMIN: Re: porn ads

Subject: Re[2]: ADMIN: Re: porn ads
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:07:30 GMT

Stephen Forrest <techwriter -at- ibm -dot- net> wrote:

It is legitimately considered a problem, but is a problem with all
newgroups, and has nothing to do with tech writing.
<<

Clearly, you have missed my point as well.

The relevance to this mailing list (not to technical writing per se) is
that this group *is* mirrored to a newsgroup. Obviously the original
poster was not aware of that, because she said she had never posted to
a newsgroup.

It is important that members of the list should realise the
implications of posting to the list. Your email address is sent to a
newsgroup whenever you post here, and the software some spammers use
scans the content of messages, not just the headers.

Once list members are fully aware of this, I doubt there is much more
to say on the subject.

Iain