Thanks... and need info on a cross-platform graphic format

Subject: Thanks... and need info on a cross-platform graphic format
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:19:32 +0800

Brian said:
> I am pretty certain that the tagged image file format (TIFF) works in
> all Mac and PC programs, though I'm not certain if it works on Unix.

Yes, I use TIFFs on Solaris.

> On certain systems, though, I've heard of TIF(F) images coming up in
> black & white only... in this case you may want to try JPG (Joint
> Photographic Experts Group) files to get maximum color.

I have had a problem exchanging documents with a sister company who
uses Frame on Windows only. To them, my TIFFs appear inverted (black=
white, dark grey=light grey), and their TIFFs appear inverted to me.

Oddly, I don't have the same problem moving my documents between
Solaris at work and Windows at home. Maybe it's a cross-hemisphere
thing -- is the sky up there blue during the day and black at night?
That's what we get here.

There shouldn't be a problem with colour TIFFs. At least, I haven't
heard of one. JPEG is probably not appropriate for Hari's diagrams --
it's better for images that have a lot of shades and not much block
colour -- scanned photos, for example.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield