Re: Thanks... and need info on a cross-platform graphic format

Subject: Re: Thanks... and need info on a cross-platform graphic format
From: "M. Dannenberg" <midannen -at- SI -dot- BOSCH -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:53:31 +0200

Hareesh Kumar K N schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks to all of you who responded to my query on editing .ps files.
> From
> all the responses, we found out that without Adobe Distiller and
> Illustrator it's difficult to work with .ps files.
> Thanks once again for the help.
>
> I'm facing another problem now. We have FrameMaker on various
> platforms
> such as Windows, Solaris and Mac, and the documents need to be
> viewed/edited on these platforms. While we do not have any problem
> with the
> text, diagrams are creating real problems. I am on Windows95, and
> create
> the diagrams in Visio Technical. To insert these into FrameMaker, we
> convert them into Windows Metafile (.wmf) or Windows Bitmap (.bmp).
> While
> these diagrams work fine with Windows version of FrameMaker, they
> appear as
> blank frames on Solaris.
>
> Is there a graphic format supported on the differnt versions of
> FrameMaker?
> I tried Encapsulated Postscript (.eps), but it didn't work. I cannot
> create
> some of these diagrams using FrameMaker graphic tools as they are
> pretty
> complex.

The main problem is, that Postscript does not equal Postscript. A lot of
graphics programs have Postscript export filters, but there's no
guarantee that a Postscript file exported from, say, Corel Draw will be
readable by Visio or Frame. The only app where it seems to work 100% of
the time is Adobe Illustrator. Our layout and graphics people have tried
just about everything, and they say that Illustrator produces the only
Postscript that is readable by everything, every time.

I also use Visio for illustrations and send .wmf's to the graphics
people. They import the wmf's into Illustrator and save them as
Postscript. Tortuous, but it works. If Illustrator wasn't so expensive,
I'd run out and buy it immediately, so this may or may not be an
alternative for you.

Mike

--
Mike Dannenberg